Friday, September 11, 2009

Remembering 9/11

Today is the 8th anniversary of 9/11. Do you remember where you were? I can remember it as vivid as yesterday. Aaron and I were living in the DC area at the time. I had just gotten out of the shower at the gym, after taking a spinning class. As I was sitting on the bench getting dressed a lady rushed into the locker room frantically yelling the twin towers have been hit. What?! What did that mean? I didn't have time to watch the T.V. there, as I was in a hurry to get to work. I remember feeling very confused, what did that just mean? As soon as I got in my little Jetta I turned on the radio, and headed to work. As I listened to the news coverage, I felt sick to my stomach. As if the twin towers attack was not enough, when I was driving down Wisconsin Avenue the news coverage was interrupted with the announcement that the Pentagon had been hit by a plane!! What?! Is this a dream? I was flooded with several emotions. I was very scared, helpless, and most of all in shock. How could they do this? They just killed hundreds and hundreds of innocent people, and what were they going to do next?
I had nightmares for days, and was obsessed with the news, which didn't help matters. I remember how our nation came together to embody our National motto "E Pluribus Unum" (out of many, one)...it's now amazing how divided our nation has become. Aaron and I went up to New York the weekend after 9/11 to be with a friend who lost a few of his friends in the twin towers. I can still remember seeing all the smoke and dust in the air, as ground zero continued to burn. What a disturbing sight it was, I pray that our country will never have to go through that again. My heart not only aches for those who lost loved ones in 9/11, but for the victims themselves. I cannot even begin to imagine the terror and anguish they suffered knowing they were not going to make it.

I get so upset when people think these terrorist deserve rights, and should be treated "fairly"! Did they (the terrorists) give our nation one bit of respect? It brings me to tears with sadness and anger when our armed services, PD and FD fight and die for our freedom, and then they are not supported by our nation as a whole. I feel like respect and gratitude is the least we can show to the many men and women that risk their lives everyday for our safety. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for all you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment