Friday, April 23, 2010

They have to work for it

If you all are like us, your kids have entirely way too much stuff.  I am sick of looking at all the toys they have, and am ready to give half of it away to goodwill.  So, lately when the kids ask for more toys, I automatically say "No!  You all don't need anymore, you have enough."  And then I start lecturing to them about all the kids that don't have any toys or clothes, and how grateful they should be to have the things they have.  Truth be told, I need to take my own advice.  I often find myself whining about wanting things that aren't a necessity.  I need to follow that old sayin "practice what you preach".

I am sure many of you have heard of Zhu Zhu pets (ugh!).  Avery has been wanting one since Christmas, and then when her best friend Hannah got one, it is all she's talked about.  I know they are not that expensive, but we feel that she doesn't need to get one just "because", Aaron and I felt that she needed to work for it.  Aaron came up with some chores for her to do.  When Deacon heard the word "work"  he was all in, and decided he wanted to partake in these chores also.

I have to say I was pretty impressed with how hard they worked.  They picked weeds for 2 days, restocked the garage refrigerator, and swept the garage floor.
*See those boots Deacon is wearing?  They are a size 8, and he wears a size 10!  He refuses to stop wearing his 1st pair of working boots (I've even bought him a new pair).  His poor little tootsies are getting all smashed, but it doesn't seem to bother him.
Baby Amelia turned 6 months this last week.  She brightens our little world, and has been such a gift to us all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment