Monday, September 6, 2010

Semper Fi

Semper Fidelis:  "Always Faithful"

Saturday night Aaron and I went with some Marine friends and their wives to attend a fellow Marine's(Keith Pigg) wedding reception.  I have known these men for approximately 14 years.  If you have ever spent any time with a group of Marines, you may have witnessed certain traits and communication styles that can be viewed as abrasive.  However, I've been told these are the same characteristics that allow them to be decisive and communicate deliberately when in the heat of battle.  This group is no different.  Those in this group that embody those traits; I say grow on you like fungus, and they tend to agree.  That is what I love about them though, they are what they are; they don't try to pretend to be something that they are not. 
What I've learned is that this group fully lives by the Marine Corps motto "Semper Fidelis".  You know that each one of them would have your back at any time with the snap of a finger.  As an example, many of them never knew Aaron's dad, but when he passed away in 2004, they drove hours to attend his visitation.   Most people that attend visitations pay their respects and leave.  One of these Marines, in particular, had to drive 2+ hours one-way.  He paid his respects and then sat quietly in the back row by himself until the visitation came to an end (3+ hours), in order to just be there for us.  That spoke volumes to me, and I could tear up just thinking about it.  (For those in this picture that couldn't attend the visitation because your were fighting for our freedom - Thank you for risking your lives for us.)  For all they've done over the years, each one of them will always have a special place in my heart.
 I ran across this quote by Eleanor Roosevelt, and I just have to share it.

“The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!” 


Here are some fun pics from Keith and Loren Pigg's wedding.  Unfortunately we didn't get a pic of Lauren and Pigg together & the only pic of Loren I got was too fuzzy. = (   These pics were taken with my point and shoot camera, so the quality isn't great, and the red eye frustrates me.  Oh well.

CONGRATULATIONS KEITH & LOREN!!!

 

These are the marines (the groom, Pigg is the one second from the left), and the bottom pic are the wives

Here are the couple pics, minus the bride and groom

Funny stories are always told at a Marine get together, I was so glad to have caught Rob's expression on his face while telling the story.  As you can see the guys were really into the story.

Here are some group shots.  There is a story behind one of them, but that's for another time

As always it was a great time just catching up and hanging out with everyone.  Love you all, and so glad you all are a part of our lives.

Semper Fidelis

Love,

Sarah

1 comment:

  1. We love you all too.
    Beautifully said Sarah...hope to see you all soon!
    Love & Semper Fi-Julia & Rob

    ReplyDelete