Wednesday, January 5, 2011

What we've been up to (part 1)

Let's see where should I start?  
I think I'll start by saying I needed to take a break from all of the picture taking, editing, and time on the computer period!  It was taking over my life, and I was letting it.  The house was the last thing on my priority list, and boy did it show big time.  Something had to change.  I decided to limit my time in front of the computer, and start focusing on the house.
We decided to start organizing our house, one drawer, one closet, and one room at a time.  It will take many more weeks to finish, but at least I am feeling like I am accomplishing something productive around the house.  And as Aaron has told me for years, "if everything has a place, then your life will be less stressful, and you will have time to do more stuff."  I am finally beginning to believe him. 

My friend Ryan who is the ultimate organizer helped design a plan to create a more functioning laundry room.  It is still in the process, but I wanted to share this one thing with you now.
The laundry room is right by the garage, so as soon as we come in the door each person has their own hanging station with their picture above their hook.  The kids now know this, and they are no longer throwing their coats on the floor.  Yay!
Aaron, and I want to make the kids more independent with taking care of their own stuff.  If they know where something should go, then they should have NO excuse not to do it.  So, we thought we would start with the coat closet.  What a disaster that was.  I wish I would have taken a before picture.  Just visualize a shelf and one hanging rod.  Their scarves, mitten, and hats were scattered all over the floor.  Mess, mess, mess.  So, this is what we did:
This is an armoire we got on sale at Lowe's with 3 drawers.  We added a hanging rod in it, and then have a bottom rod on the right for the kid's extra jackets and coats, and then for the best part...
Each kid has their own drawer in the armoire for their hats, scarves, and mittens.

Last week we got a catalog from The Container Store saying they were having a 30% off sale.  Aaron says their 40% over priced, but to me it is worth paying 10% more to have them cut all the shelving for you to the exact dimensions you need.  So, we decided to go buy the stuff to organize Amelia's closets.  Again, I wish I would have taken a before picture.  Visualize a shelf with a hanging rod in each closet.  Toys were scattered everywhere, and stuff was just thrown up there.  Now look at them:
It's functional, and organized!  Yay!  Love, love, love The Container Store.  Aaron was able to hang all this up within 2 hours.  While he was doing it, I started tackling drawers
*these sorting organizers for the sock and underwear drawers are on sale for $5.00 at The Container Store FYI :)
We still have a long long way to go before our house is fully organized, but I am feeling like I am finally in the right direction. 

1 comment:

  1. Otworzyła salon kosmetyczny i myślę o tym gdzie kupić lampa uv led 9w, em nail lampa uv 36w i lampa uv led diamond 36w. Gdzie najlepiej szukać takich sprzętów? Czy możecie polecić jakąś hurtownie? Czy warto zamawiać przez Internet? Wybrałam sklep www.newfacebeauty.pl, lampa-lupa.pl/. Salon w Warszawie, zapraszam wszystkich. Rabaty dla klientów z bloga)

    ReplyDelete