Tuesday, August 25, 2009

First day of School

I enrolled Avery and Deacon in The Learning Place this year. It is a preschool that will take kids as young as 2, and lasts for 4 1/2 hours (that way I can get more stuff done). Avery has been excited because her two buddies: Hannah and Joshua are in her class, Deacon, on the other hand has had anxiety, and fear. He has been crying about not wanting to go to school for the last 2 weeks, and in his words, "me not a big kid anymore, me a baby. Me not want to go to school, me want to stay home with mommy." Well, again yesterday morning he woke up crying, and saying those same words. Avery, the little mommy that she is hugged him and told him "It's going to be okay buddy, we are going to have lots of fun, and you will make some new friends". I have been telling him the exact same thing for the last 2 weeks, but did he listen to me? No!! Something magical happened when Avery told him that. He stopped crying. Then, when we were on our way to the preschool he says "me done crying about school, me going to be a big boy." And just like that he was done, he walked right in to his classroom, gave the teacher high five, and sat down to start coloring.
That is Deacon for you. When he makes up his mind he is going to do something he does it. He potty trained himself, by waking up one morning saying "me need to go potty." And sure enough he did, and that is how he got rid of his pacifiers also. He woke up the morning after sleeping in his big boy bed for the first time, and brought his pacifiers down with him, he opened the trash can, looked up at me and said "me a big boy now, me not need my bappy (aka pacifier), bappys are for babies." And just like that he threw all his bappys away. It is awesome to see the determination he has when he makes up his mind.


Avery and Deacon sporting their new backpacks

Front view


Avery and her new lunchbag

Deacon decided he was going to take he and Avery to preschool in his gator

and their off!

Standing outside the preschool waiting for the doors to open


Deacon saying goodbye to me with a smile!


Avery putting her backpack away in her cubby.

When I picked them up, they both said how much fun they had. As Avery put it "I sure do like my new school, we had a lot of fun." Yay!!! I am so happy they are going to enjoy preschool, and I am so happy I will have a few hours by myself-well, until the baby is here :).

No comments:

Post a Comment