Wednesday, August 19, 2009

My recycled craft room

I have a little room in the basement that I have transformed into a little craft room. I didn't want to spend much money on it, so I thought I would look around our storage room and garage and find old things I could use. I got a couple of good ideas from other thrifty bloggers, and after consulting with good ol' mom and dad we came up with these ideas:

Here is the final product of the sewing table



This is what it started as. This was a table that the old owners of the house left, isn't it ugly? You can get these anywhere i.e. goodwill for super cheap.

Mom and I found some cheap fabric at the fabric store, and mom sewed little pleats throughout, we then hot glued it around the table.


I just used some black paint as seen in the picture so you wouldn't see the brown of the table.


Dad came up with the idea to adhere the wallpaper onto a piece of luan (Home Depot has it cheap and they'll cut it for you at the exact measurement you will need), instead of directly onto the table. That way if I ever get sick of this paper I can change it out without ruining the table.
I painted some mod podge directly onto the luan and then rolled the paper onto the board, and smoothed the paper out to get all the bubbles out.

This is the wall paper I chose, and what it looked like after I got it glued on the board.

I sealed the top of the paper with more mod podge.


I hot glued the corners of the table, and then adhered the luan/zebra board on top of the table


I also adhered the paper onto the dowel rod just to give it a little pizazz.

And here is the table now.


This is my cutting/craft table. This is our old island countertop that we kept from our old house (don't like the color, but it is very durable and serves the purpose). For the sides I used the cubicles you get from Target by closetmaid for $49.99 a piece, that way you can have cubbies for storage on the sides (I stole that idea from pottery barn, they were selling their unit for $1,000). Dad connected the countertop to the cubbies for me, and then used brackets on the wall to give a little added support. (BTW you can find old countertops off craigslist for free sometimes if you are looking, people are constantly redoing kitchens, and can't wait to get rid of their old stuff- "what's one person's trash is another person's treasure").

Now when we redo the basement like we want it I will still use all this stuff, because it works, I will need help figuring a paint color. Any ideas, please tell me. Thanks for letting me share :).

1 comment: